Monday, January 14, 2008

Sgt Major Gory

I think my take on practice was a success….on Saturday night myself, my sister and Eve L. Hart were falling alseep over coffees, and by Sunday morning I received a few texts telling me how much everyone was hurting. It’s two days after now and I still ache like a bastard, and I sat out on one of the most demanding drills because I couldn’t take part and blow the whistle at the same time! The ironic thing was that it was one of the things I needed to practice (knee-dips mid skate to avoid a block or regain your balance), and everyone else already seemed to have gotten it down. But all those knee-dips have got to be hard on your thighs…at least that’s what all the text messages tell me. I wouldn’t know myself ;)

I had so much stuff planned for us to do (I have too many favorite drills) that in the end I had to face the fact that it wasn’t possbile to fit it all in (even factoring in the certainty that with me leading practice the main trouble-maker/timewaster would be occupied) so I focused on endurance skating, games that involved lots of fast skating, dodging and ducking, and relay races. Everyone worked so hard…it was really demanding but we all had fun at the same time. After a few long speed-skake sessions we had a game of dodgeball to lighten things up. It was probably the most fun of all and I sustained a nice patch of rink rash on my ass (and a lovely growing bruise). Ouija Broad and I decided to go for the same fallen ball, but she (the queen of the low-takedown) managed to bump me to my ass as I was squatting down to retrieve it. I was left sitting on my butt as she skated away triumphant. Bitch. She’s too good ;)

I had a wicked time…I’m still glowing from the joy of being ‘Sgt Major’…or maybe it’s just because we had yet another amazing practice? I can’t wait for the LRG bout and our practice next week. We never did get to try out my new drill but I’ll post about it’s success/failure when we do.

Wreck’n’roll xx

No comments: