Friday, January 18, 2008

Panic at the Roller Disco

Something weird is going on with my body…I think it’s finally had enough of me battering the shit out of it and now it’s just ignoring me and getting on with things on its own. Usually, the day after skate practice I feel like all my joint lubrication has dried out and been replaced with hot sand, my shoulders ache and you could probably do a dot-to-dot picture using the bruises and scratches all over me. Tuesday night at aerobics I sweated SO much more than I usually do at skate practice, so I was fully expecting a day of groaning torture on Wednesday, and when I woke up I felt…fine! It was amazing, and weird, and it made me wonder if I’d worked as hard as I thought I had.

If things couldn’t get more amazing after that, a wonderful man had messaged me to ask if I was interested in marshalling the opening night of Birmingham’s Roller Disco! I was so excited at the thought of combining work and skating that I didn’t take the time to think about the 5 hours on wheels…or the 3am finish time. I’ve had three hours sleep but I’m still on a high…albiet a very modest high that expresses itself from under a blanket whilst watching daytime TV. And that's the third amazing thing...even after five hours of skating and only a few hours sleep I've woken up ache-free again!

Me, my fellow CCR (Daisy Pain, Lauren LaBurn and Chet Wisconsin) and the other marshalls policed the dance floors, picking up fallen skaters, helping people get their roll on and taking full advantage of the skatey goodness. It was bliss skating round an empty dancefloor with my friends, and it was even better when the floor was rammed with flailing skaters…I whooped with joy when everyone managed to make one continuous conga circle! I also laughed with hysterics as said conga line collapsed and suddenly we had a very large pile of tangled limbs, skates and disco gear. Bad marshall!

It wasn’t all good though…I may have woken up this morning minus muscle pain, but I was skating without my pads last night and a couple of unfortunate falls (one being pushed at high speed by a cackling Tragic Wrath….who landed on me in true rollergirl style!) meant that it feels like I’ve got golfballs under my black and blue knees! I’m actually a little disappointed that my bruises aren’t bigger because at the moment I can’t get a good photo of them! I’m seriously considering investing in a BIG bottle of witch hazel…just to improve the aesthetic quality of my skating injuries. This non-bruising thing is really getting me down!

Roll on tomorrow…CCR road trip!!

No comments: