Thursday, May 08, 2008

Who needs the gym?!

The weather’s been beautiful here recently, and it’s really made me start to reconsider my time in the gym. I mean, what’s the point in paying good money to go and stand inside and sweat when you can exercise for free outside?! I pitched my idea at Hustle’her who agreed that it was a crime against fitness not to enjoy the sun in a jogging-type situation…and so that’s what we did!

Last night, me, the dog, and his new stretchy lead met up with Hustle’her after her spinning class (oh my GOD she’s hardcore) for a leisurely jog round Arrow Valley Lake. The sun was still out at 7.30, and so were the people…and the dogs…and the bikes…so we had quite a bit to contend with. Coupled with the fact that Fletch has never been jogging before either, his intense interest in other dogs, and his need to pee on everything, we didn’t have too smooth a start. Nevertheless, all three of us managed a good mile without stepping on each other, bumping into the public or falling in the lake! Result indeed. By the end of it Fletch had even got the hang of what he was meant to be doing, and he ran politely at my side instead of galloping at the end of his lead in front of me. It won’t be long before he gets the idea properly and he enjoys the running so much that the other dogs fade into the background. I hope!!

I’ve got to admit, I do feel a bit mean because his new lead is very short and so he was getting yanked about a lot for any misbehaviour, which can’t be nice on his neck. I think maybe running in a harness might be a better idea (for him, not me)…so at least when he doesn’t do as he’s told he’s not just being pulled by his head. I did consider a proper hands-free jogging lead (they go round your waist) but until Fletch is used to the whole routine I don’t think it’s the best idea to have him springing around on the end of a rope that I can’t pull in towards me. I’ve got visions of me being dragged along a field as he chases another dog!!

If anyone has any tips about jogging with your dog I’d love to hear them…I’m determined to get fit and he’s a guaranteed running partner so I really want to make this work.

When I got back last night I decided against a cool shower (boy, was I hot) and had a warm bath instead. As I got used to it I was slowly topping it up with hot water and stretching out my muscles…but it was all in vain. This morning I’m as stiff as the proverbial board. Even a warm-down with Mr Gory did nothing for the soreness! Ha ha! I was going to head out with Hustle’her and Racey Macey this evening to do a couple of laps round the lake, but this time on wheels. I think I’m going to quietly opt out of that one and go for a gentle walk instead. The last thing my muscles need right now is more torture!

No comments: