Friday, May 16, 2008

Wedding Photos and Tattoos! (...plus Gory's aftercare tips...)

Once again it's been a good while since I posted on here...but it's not all my fault. Saturday the 10th of May was Matt's eldest sister, Alison's, wedding (he has three)...and in true Gory style I forgot my camera. Shame on me. The result was that the only pictures I got of us 'all dressed up' were on Matt's phone and he's been so busy that it's taken him until today to put them on the computer.

It was a beautiful day (hot hot hot!) and we got to Derby almost 45 minutes early so we were unusually stress-free and happy people. The ceremony was beautiful, with Alison and Darshan giggling like a pair of school kids at the Registrar's OVER...PRONUN...CIATION. I was forced to ask myself just how many pauses one can fit into a word without seeming like a loony...and the answer was none. However, it made for an amusing set of vows!!

If you don't already know, it's not easy for an unmarried couple to make it through the day of a wedding without being asked by each and every person (who all think they're incredibly original, goddamn their souls) when it's going to be our turn. Matt's middle sister, Nella, and her daughters even offered to keep hold of their bridesmaid dresses 'just in case'! We declined politely...or at least I did anyway...the look of terror in Matt's eyes was a good indicator of his feelings ;o)

...but don't we scrub up well?...this was taken in Nella's back garden after the wedding festivities had broken up for the day...



...and here's me on my own...and yes, I chose the dress because it matched a pair of shoes I already have and love. Any excuse to wear my favorite shoesies!



...that's Matt's nephew Ollie in the corner of the picture. He was glued to my side in the first shot Matt took...heaven only knows why small children seem to love me. Although seeing as he's six we probably have a similar mental age...ha ha!

Congratulations to Alison and Darshan!!

Tattooness...

Roller Derby action has been a bit thin on the ground of late. I missed last week's practice because it clashed with the wedding, and I'm missing this week's because we'll be on our way to Gloucester (with any luck not in a shower of rain...and no, we will not be stepping in puddles up to our middles either!). I feel a pang of sadness about Sunday already! Missing one practice is bad enough but two in a row and I start to get a bit angry and irritable...those Derby endorphins are unmatchable!

To quell my ever-growing frustration (and because I start work next week and can't rely on a set schedule) I begged Mr Gory to touch up the tattoos on my ankles, to give them time to heal before I have to start doing lots of standing round (at work...in a card shop...not on street corners). I've got cherries on my left ankle that are about three years old and a tad faded, and a chili on my right ankle that was a bit too orange and carrotty looking...both of them desperately needed a shot of red to bring them back to life.

...here's my beautiful boy doing one of the things he does best...(and wearing my skate number with pride!)



My cherries...(he's going to do the leaf another time)



My chili...



...and them both together...



...and wrapped!! very VERY tightly so I couldn't walk properly...thanks Maffoo! *sarcasm*



Luckily I have a tattooist on hand 24/7 to help me take care of my ink properly while it's healing...but evenso, I've still fucked tattoos up before by not doing the right things during the healing process. Hence why I take such good care of them now, and it drives me so mad when I see people who clearly don't realise how much they're damaging something that a) cost them a lot of money, and b) hurts like buggery to fix!

I ALWAYS keep my tattoos wrapped up overnight (as should everyone...it's an open wound people!) and then the next morning I get into a hot bath with the dressing on (to loosen it before pulling it away from my skin) and I try and soak my ink for a while (or blast it with hot water from the shower head) whilst massaging it to help drain out lymph.

...this pic is of my dressings after I soaked them off...cool huh?! pictures on tissue...printed with lymph! Yummy!



It's lymph-oozing that causes scabs to build up, so the more of this you can get rid of in the first wash, the less your tattoo will scab up. Then I give it a good wash in antibacterial liquid soap and pat it dry, leaving it to dry completely before applying a thin layer of bepanthen. Then I try and keep it as clean and dry as I can, other than giving it a quick wash in anti-bac for the next few mornings (applying more thin smears of Bep after I've washed it). I must warn you though, it's a really thick and viscous creme, so it's quite hard to apply, especially to a sore sensitive area.

This aftercare routine works really well for me and Mr Gory, and it's stopped me (Scabby McScabberson) from scabbing quite as badly as I usually do...and Mr Gory doesn't get any scabs. Bepanthen might be for babies' arses, but it's a goddamn wonder-creme when it comes to tattoo healing...it's just as good as Tattoo Goo, if not better.

As soon as the tattoos are less sore I'll be recommencing the jogging programme along with the Fletch (or fletchpig.com as I'm now calling him)...gah, this exercise thing sucks!

No comments: