Friday, February 01, 2008

Aerobics take two...

Armed with no less than THREE bottles of powerade (I would breathe this stuff if I could) and dragged by the brutal Hustle’Her, I actually managed to attend aerobics this week (even if it has taken me an age to actually blog this monumentous event). I even managed to be ready on time, which was all the sweeter when Dynomite Bo, Ouija Broad and Chet’s mom all crept in while the rest of us were leaping around like gazelles. Three-legged gazelles!… I say that, but I did quite well. This time round I stood on the floor (and not on my classmates), I grapevined (mostly) in the right direction, and although I got a wicked stitch, there was a distinct lack of chest pain this time round. Now that is progress my friends.

I am surprised to say that I’m really enjoying going…my attention span is absolutely awful so even when I’ve only been doing something for a short while I get impatient. I can’t even watch a half hour TV show without picking up something else to do at the same time. I’ve got to admit, I noticed that there was a clock in the room where we have our class and I did do a bit of clock watching (and maybe I willed it to go a bit faster) but that was when I was preoccupied with my stitch. So yes, normally I’d have given up as soon as it got difficult or I felt uncomfortable, but just like skating, I’m not going to let it beat me! If I’d have done what I wanted to do a year ago and sat on the bench watching, I’d never be where I am now…and I’ve got to remember that in every aspect of my life. Including aerobics!


It’s amazing how Roller Derby can change you for the better…it really does save souls. I’ve always been a bit of a push over, but slowly I’ve learnt to stand up for myself and the things I want, instead of letting other people trample all over my dreams with their own. Quitting the old league was part of standing up for myself. Maybe I'll write about it one day...it'd sure make for interesting reading!

No comments: