Saturday, February 02, 2008

No bootcamp for Gory

I’m sitting here like a mini version of the Hulk…mean and green! As I type this, Rollergirls from all over the UK are making their way to London for the London Roller Girls’ Bootcamp (…I only just noticed the cool animation at the top of their website…) and considering I’m sat here typing this, and not sat on the minibus stealing everyone’s Haribo, it’s kind of a given that I’m not going to be attending.

So instead I’ve been sat here watching the re-run of Dancing on Ice, trying to forget how jealous I am about Boot Camp by making myself jealous that I can’t skate like a ballerina…

My Nan used to love Ice Dancing…it makes me wish I’d taken an interest in it earlier because it’s something that we could have shared. To be honest though, I think it’s taken learning to skate to show me exactly how difficult it is. I can’t even skate backwards at the moment, and I can barely do a 180 turn, so after a year of learning I can begin to appreciate what these people are doing on the ice. They make it look so easy, like I could almost do it myself if I thought about it enough. In my head I lace up my roller skates and glide into the centre of the sports hall like a wheeled butterfly, spinning, pirouetting, performing faultless backwards crossovers and spectacular axle jumps…but reality is a whole other story.


I’d say my style of skating is functional at the moment…utility skating if you will. It gets me round the track but it’s not going to win me any awards any time soon. It’d be amazing to be that good on my skates though. I’ve been teasing myself with the idea of ice skating lessons for the past six months or so, maybe it should be a new year’s resolution?…a month into the new year?

No comments: